It's like a conference that is not really what a traditional conference is. It's a conference that participants provide the content, asking questions and everyone providing possible solutions or maybe more fodder for thought. Technology being the enabler.
GovCamp is BarCamp with a focus on how Government and Citizens can work together to improve our lives with technology as the enabler. GovCamp Singapore to be held on 18 Nov 2011 is where the people in Singapore will discuss what is "Government 2.0"
More information provided by the organisers of GovCampSG:
The event will see citizens; government officers, businesses, bloggers and online communities come together in a dialogue on "the future of Government". Grass-root events like this one, are crucial in our growth as a nation.
Conversations taking place online today, show that Singaporeans today expect a higher degree of engagement from the government than ever before. They also expect to play active roles as citizens - in developing policies and citizen services. GovCamp Singapore brings citizens, corporations and the government together in open dialogue on how to make Singapore a better country, and a better place to live in.
The upcoming GovCampSG bears the theme "Connecting People, Data and Ideas." We will focus on two key subjects: Engagement and Open Data - how governments should engage citizens through social media; and how data should be made available and harnessed for the greater good of the country.
Sponsored and organised by Microsoft Singapore with the support of IDA Singapore and NUS, the following people have been invited to participate as well.
- Jane Fountain (Keynote Speaker), Professor of Political Science and Public Policy, Director, National Center for Digital Government, Director, Science, Technology, and Society Initiative. University of Massachusetts Amherst
- James Kang (Keynote Speaker), Assistant Chief Executive Government Chief Information Office Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore
- Rodrigo Becerra Mizuno, Managing Director of the Government Industry in Worldwide Public Sector for Microsoft
- Prof Ashish Lall, Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, National University of Singapore
- Prof Pallab Saha, The Institute of Systems Science, National University of Singapore
- Local bloggers who are deeply passionate about Gov 2.0 issues will also play an active role in hosting conversations.
- Ms Grace Fu, Senior Minister-of-State for Information, Communications and the Arts will be Guest of Honour at the Event.
It's a FREE event and here are the details.
Date: Friday, 18th November 2011
Time: 3pm to 10pm (Breakout sessions start at 6pm)
Venue: The Rock Auditorium, Level 3, Suntec City (near Tower 4)
I will be there, will you? See you there!
This is the 2nd GovCampSG for the year. The first was held in NUS earlier this year.