Search This Blog

Monday, September 03, 2007

My new toy.... Sony T200

Yesterday I got myself a new toy! I read about the camera from the email newsletter sent to Sony Camera owners. Looks so impressive. Do you know it automatically takes photo when it detects someone smiling? Yes, their "smile shutter" really works! We were trying it in the office today with colleagues all smiling.

I was actually thinking about a DSLR. But I carry my camera with me daily, so I wanted a small light and powerful one to replace my current Sony W1 that is 3 year old. (If you don't know, I carry the W1 in my pocket daily to take photos)

Short story about what happened since 3 days ago. Friday nite, I went to Comex to catch a glimpse of it. Listed price is $699. No way you can bargain in Comex with all the zillions of people around. Also, people who serve you are just contract workers who are paid by commission. They just want to get a sale. If you notice, they just memorize a few lines and repeat them. You can easily detect contradiction when they talk. So, no deal there.

So, I thought I will like previous years, I will get them at Sony Gallery. I know you can't get discounted price, but you can get freebies like memory cards, batteries etc thrown in. So on Saturday I went to the Sony Gallery at IMM. I bought 2 cameras there before. This time, I just walked out after this salesperson showed an 'attitude'. I shall not anger myself mentioning it. The locals will say "kiam pak". Totally no deal. I think Sony Gallery should do something about it.

So, I walked a floor up to Best Denki just to ask. This guy serving was OK, but mentioned so many things about the camera that I know is not very true. Beep. Cross off this guy. Sis and I politely listened to him and said thank you. Even my sis can tell that we can't really trust him. haha..

Yesterday, I just happened to be in Centrepoint Mall walking around. Discovered there's a new Harvey Norman and walked in. A mature age lady served us. Hey, a few words and you know, there's no pretense, no pushing of products, not very technical about things, but you know you rather give her business for her excellent service and attitude.

She gave an instant discount without me asking. I had with me some gift vouchers, so it offset even more the retail price. Oh yes, thrown in some freebies too! *Happy glee*

Here's my camera. The front view.

The back view of the camera, no more dials or buttons etc. It's a 3.5 inch touch screen! One colleague said it's like an iPhone!

When you turn it on, the soft keys come out on both sides. It's quite responsive the touch screen. I hope it stays that way! My deal included a extra 2 year warranty I paid, so no worries if it fails for the next 3 years! With the disc, my vouchers, added extra warranty, the total was still less than the $699 at Comex.

Read all the other fun stuff at http://www.sony.com.sg/cybershot/t200/ if you wish to know. hehe... (no, I am not a pay per post member, so this is not paid advertisement haha)

I am happy with the purchase of this compact camera. It's the once a year in a particular month and you get something for yourself, and have every reason to say I deserve it. LOL...

Hmmm I still want a DSLR. The pictures comes out so much more different, I know, I know... But I keep trying to justify buying it. I have a compact camera daily with me, I will only use the DSLR on weekends! 365 days verses 52 days a year. I shall save up more money.

Over the weekend, I met some really Singapore celebrity food bloggers and they use DSLR, even my Pastor has a DSLR and recommends one. Yes, you can talk to Pastors even on DSLR other than spiritual matters. haha...

This might just be my wordiest post of the year! haha...

17 comments:

Olivier said...

Un veritable bijou de technologie. Superbe

A true jewel of technology. Superb

kaa said...

yup.. wordiest post ever and i can't believe i took the time to read. Oh.. remember my camera got spoilt. i got a new fuiji cam in Singapore. A national day packaged offer but not as sophisticated as yours... ;-)

Kate said...

I'll have to do some more reading about this; sounds interesting!

FĂ©nix - Bostonscapes said...

Neat new toy. Enjoy it! And a very happy (belated) birthday to you! (Let's see if I can guess... You were born on September 2nd! Yes?)

Anonymous said...

Wow KM, can tell you are truly excited about this one. Even reading the post can tell ;) Congrats on the new buy! Good one :)

Sivasothi said...

Congrats Keropok Man, and many happy returns! I enjoyed reading that and good for the HN lady!

southernoise said...

i'm a Pentax DSLR advocate but thats just me. This sony is VERY drool worthy!

tsl said...

so which DSLR did everyone recommend?? i too want to get one. there's something about SLRs that causes one to be more artistic than normal. haha

Z said...

Sweet! I'm always thinking of new gear and have such a long list that it's best to not act on it. Anyway, it was nice to hear about the saleslady. I've noticed that several times at electronics megastores here in CH, that the women have more accurate if fewer comments or information to give while the men sometimes just seem to want to show-off.

JollyGreenP said...

The advantages of DSLR are :-
1. ability to compose and frame the photo through the eyepiece withouthaving to hold the camera at arms length and squint at the screen.
2. changeable lens so you can use different focal length lenses.

Disadvantages
1. bulky and sometimes heavy.
2. can't take a movie as the mirror has to move to take the photo. You can take a series single frames though and create a jerky animation sequence.

Although I am a Pentax fan myself they are just a bit pricey for my current financial state and so the choice was between a Canon or a Nikon. My son who works in the business advised going for the Nikon as there had been fewer complaints from customers on the Nikon and that the Canon lenses were the most frequent cause of complaint. So I ended up with a Nikon and make regular use of it.

Zannnie said...

hahaha, funny post - that part about 'talking to pastor abt dslr other than spiritual matters

Innocent^^Guy said...

hey, i've been aiming for this camera ever since i received news that T100 is discontinued. May I know what was the price you got it for and all the benefits so that I can negotiate for the same deal? Also, how is the quality of the pictures and all?

Dijah said...

Its this camera!I've always wanted it!And you got it.Wow.Good for you mate.My dad didn't want to get something like that for me because he said the memory card would be expensive.Should drop by Singapore and prove him wrong.

Fabrizio Zanelli said...

There's no way a compact may stay in your pocket a DLSR no. I use both but the old Sony P200 it's always with me while the bulky (even wonderful) Nikon ifs often at home.

Just a question. I didn't read you went at Sim Lim Square (where I spent lot of time when I came there). You didn't suggest to go there to buy or simply is out of your usually place to buy?

Ming the Merciless said...

My current Canon Powershot is almost dead...well, the shutter won't close because of some mechanic problem.

I am in the market to get a new one. Panasonic Lumix FX55 was highly reviewed in a photography magazine I have. So I might get that one since it's small and compact.

Ming the Merciless said...

Love your log post, BTW. :-)

Anonymous said...

You make me so tempted to buy!! OMG! Are the newer pictures in your blog taken with the said camera?

Out of curiosity, how much did you pay for it?